October 19, 2008

Dark clouds over the U.S.


We saw it coming but what can you do? Things come as they
will and all you can do as an individual is ride out the storm
and move on when things settle down. Chatted with a neighbor
at the hotel who told me about the devastation of Hurricane Ike
in Texas, where he was from. He had very little left.


Nature treated us to a little winter wonderland. It was a pleasant
surprise as I had not seen snow for about 12 years.


As soon as we were out of the mountains we were back in more
familiar territory. Now this I recognize!


When you see a peaceful picture like this
you can hardly imagine that out there we are
in an economic crisis, that there is a senseless
war being fought and that so many people do not have any
security for the future.
Maybe I am better off not watching television but I
consider that an ostrich policy. I read papers, listen to
BBC and NPR and check the internet for my information
but it hits me more when I watch TV.


Mesa Verde - totally fascinating how people could survive here.
Undoubtedly we will survive too whatever happens.


Shiprock near the Navajo Nation. One day I will make time to
visit the area to make pictures of the Navajo who are an
endless fascination to me. Perhaps I will one day learn how to
make the hollow, silver beads that they make on the reservation.


Canyon de Chelly, one of my favorite areas in Arizona and by this
time I am beginning to smell home on the westerly winds and my
longing for my own bed, my own cooking and my dog can hardly be contained.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails